“ECSCW – International conference on Practice-centred computing and the Design of cooperation technologies” is a series of conferences on computer-supported cooperative work located in Europe. From 1989 to 2017 ECSCW took place bi-annually in different towns in Europe (see below). From 2018 and onwards, ECSCW will merge with COOP and become an annual conference held in late May/early June under the aegis of EUSSET – The European Society for Socially-Embedded Technologies.
As stated in the preface to the ECSCW 1991 proceedings, CSCW is committed to grounding technological development and systems design in an understanding of “the specifics of practical, situated action“. ECSCW remains committed to this program.
ECSCW has been instrumental in defining the agenda of CSCW research since the beginning, and it still is. It has been the key forum for identifying and exploring issues such as
- the situated nature of action and interaction and its implications;
- the role of ethnography in CSCW and in computing in general,
- the role and nature of ‘awareness’ in cooperative work;
- the role of paper-based and other material artifacts in cooperative work;
- highly flexible collaboration infrastructures and tailorable systems.
The ECSCW conferences are single-track conferences in order to facilitate critical discussion across the disciplinary and national subdivisions of the field.
The acceptance rate for papers has been between 20 and 25%.
See https://www.facebook.com/ECSCW/ for the conference series Facebook page.
The next ECSCW will take place from August 28th to September 01st 2017 in Sheffield (U.K.) – see https://ecscw2017.org.uk/.
EUSSET News related to ECSCW
- The David B. Martin Best Paper Award at ECSCW – sponsored by Xerox Research Centre Europe The David B. Martin Best Paper Award has been established in memory of the late Dr. David Martin, a stalwart of the ECSCW community and Associate Editor of the CSCW journal. The Award will be bestowed yearly upon a full paper accepted to ECSCW that particularly contributes to the multidisciplinary understanding of society and/or work from ...
- Call for proposals to host ECSCW 2018, 2019, 2020 We wish to invite the community to prepare proposals to host ECSCW 2018, ECSCW 2019, and ECSCW 2020 at European locations. “ECSCW – The International conference on Practice-centred computing and the Design of cooperation technologies” is a series of conferences on computer-supported cooperative work located in Europe. From 2018 and onwards, ECSCW and COOP will merge ...
- ECSCW 2017 – Call for Papers Call for Papers ECSCW 2017, The 15th European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work Sheffield (UK), August 28 September 01 2017 The 15th European Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (ECSCW) will be held August 28 to September 1, 2017 in Sheffield, UK. ECSCW is a series of international conferences on computer-supported cooperative work located in Europe and championed by ...
The proceedings of the ECSCW conferences are available in the EUSSET Digital Library.
- 2017: Sheffield, UK
- 2015: Oslo, Norway
- 2013: University of Cyprus, Cyprus
- 2011: Aarhus University, Denmark, 2011
- 2009: Vienna, Austria
- 2007: Limerick, Ireland
- 2005: Paris, France
- 2003: Helsinki, Finland
- 2001: Bonn, Germany
- 1999: Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1997: Lancaster, U.K.
- 1995: Stockholm, Sweden
- 1993: Milano, Italy
- 1991: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 1989: London, U.K.